1st lesson

So yesterday was my 1st day at Nafa. But first...  Let me describe how difficult it was to get to the campus itself.

It is really ya ampun! Nafa has a number of campuses scattered around the bras basah area. And they are not linked together by a pedestrian walkway at all! The campus that my class was supposed to be held at was located in a really secluded area, a distance away from the nearest campus, and surrounded by major construction sites. The only way to walk in without any trouble is from bras basah mrt via the main entrance. Unfortunately, I was coming from bugis street. The only way in was via the back door. The problem is, the door is locked, and the only way in is through the main entrance. The problem to that is, there is no thru road for me to have access to the front of the campus. So I am STUCK!!! I decided to walk all the way back and make a big u-turn to bras basah BY FOOT. But 1/10th into the journey, something made me decide to turn back. Lucky for me, a security guard was standing at the door waiting for me to come inside. Lol. I really think its divine intervention right there.

I was 30 mins early. But there was already a girl waiting outside the classroom. For the next 30 mins, we talked for a while...  And found out she worked in the same company as me. Just different department. Lol!

Anyway, I honestly didn't know what to expect on my first day. But I did wonder if the class would be full of youngsters, or much older folks. Turns out, the class is made up of entirely youngsters and the worst part is, I might actually be the oldest. Lololol!

The lecturer is actually a designer herself who owns a small indie label. I am not so much into fashion, so I am not in tune of the latest fashion trends or the next rising local fashion designers. I only know I want to create my own wardrobe.

So anyway, the first lesson was actually quite fun. We were introduced to the different ways of printing to give a fabric its own unique characteristics. We were given a brief tour of the work room and an introduction to silkscreen. After that, we spent an hour just drawing. The lecturer gave us a photo of a flower in a vase, and told us to draw 4 different ways. The first was to draw as per normal. The second was to draw as much as possible in 15 seconds. The third was to draw with the left hand.  And the last one was to draw with both hands! And we were told not to use our eraser. I think the whole idea is to encourage creativity and to show that a motif on a fabric can be created out of anything. And speaking of motif, our assignment for the week is to come up with a motif for our silkscreening. Haven't decided on anything yet. Hopefully I can come up with something cool.

Comments

Popular Posts