2nd week of lesson

I'm here again. Blogging about my experience at nafa. Can't help it cos its the only thing that's consuming my life right now.

It's the second week of lessons, and I'm feeling the pressure. When they say its a crash course on fashion, they really do mean "pls put on your seat belt. It's gonna be a bumpy ride".

My classes are like this....  Textile printing lessons on Tuesdays, and apparel design on Thursdays.

For Tuesday's lesson we have to come up with a motif to print on our fabric. That's the easy part. The difficult part is the production. We only have 3 hours to fix the motif onto our silkscreen, print it on our fabric, and later dry it. If the trial run last Tuesday was anything to go by, its quite a rush! But I made some notes on what to avoid when the real thing comes next week. Hopefully it will turn out a million times nicer!

As for Thursday's lesson...  K. I know I used to describe the lecturer as The Devil Wears Prada. But she is not that bad afterall. She can be full of herself, but if I put all that aside, she does teach the subject well. This time, she left the criticism out and concentrated on our project work. Basically this apparel design course is not just teaching you on the designing aspect, but also it teaches you how to present your portfolio like a professional. So our project is to come up with a portfolio that talks the client through our ideas...  And the best thing is.... No essay please! Say whaaaaaat?! Just pictures with as little words as possible. Best pe?! And to add to the excitement, we have to come up with whimsical and fanciful titles and description for our ideas. Amazing!

Before, I was so used to referring to thick scientific books for my research.  But now... I am referring to vogue, elle, fashion houses etc as my source of research and inspiration! Hahahahaha!

If anyone is thinking of joining this course to learn making your own clothes...  Don't. Just join the normal auntie sewing classes available at joo chiat and golden landmark. Only join this if you are prepared to spend a lot of money (I've spent close to $100 just on materials alone) and can handle the speed of the lesson. Its really a fast game kind of course. They just give you a taste of what a real 3 year course is like. But I believe it is enough for you to start getting curious. And most importantly, you will appreciate how clothes are made and understand the value of a workmanship.

Comments

Popular Posts